Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Sun Is Shining But We Stay Inside

Why I love Red, Yellow & Blue


Born Ruffians didn't change my life, but came as close as music has ever come to changing my life. When I listen to Born Ruffians, I doesn't feel like I’m listening to a super cool bunch of guys, but it feels like I’m listening to my super cool friends who are greatly talented playing some songs they wrote; I feel like I've known them a while, and we've talked about our feelings and I know their sisters' boyfriends and their mothers’ maiden names. They know me, they get me, and I feel like I’m listening to my life, oh my jaded life, when I hear one of the best albums ever made – Red Yellow and Blue.
I listen raptly right from Red, Yellow & Blue right up to Red Elephant. I’m captivated; I've never heard anything like it.

Barnacle Goose is probably my favourite song on the album because it’s a real masterpiece. I swear, they’re quoting right out of my journal. Lalonde sings, “I’m frustrated with myself but I can’t change/ don’t want to be me anymore” and “If I write enough and think about it, it’ll happen”. I've come to conclude that it’s the song of my soul.
‘Foxes Mate for Life’ has one killer intro, and I will pay you to find me one person who doesn't move a body part while listening to Badonkadonkey.

I may have burst into tears a couple of times just from the sheer beauty and strength. And I say strength, because it's really good throughout - not at all sloppy. 

I hang on to every word, to every chord and my heart is beating at a faster rate, because I just had one massive eargasm. When I first discovered Red, Yellow & Blue, I listened to it about 15 times a week. When I had finely dissected the lyrics of Barnacle Goose, I listened to it 25 times a week. 2 years later, I've stopped listening to it so often, but it holds a very important place in my teenage years.