Friday, August 2, 2013

My Atlantis Theory

The story of Atlantis is pretty famous - ancient island city gets submerged after a giant earthquake. The question is - did it exist?

http://salhan.blogspot.in

The story was first told by Plato. According to him, Atlantis was this perfect city which was so perfect that it suffered the wrath of the gods, who submerged it in a giant flood. The lesson learnt : don't get too arrogant about the perfect things you do. There is a lot of speculation about whether it ever existed. Plato does mention that the city was Utopian. So I guess we're to understand that it was fictional. 

However, there are these islands called the Santorini Islands. They're situated where Atlantis is supposed to have been, and there are some similarities in the geographic conditions that seemed to provide some kind of physical evidence that restores the belief of Atlantis' existence in some people.

http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/

Personally, I like to believe that Atlantis existed. I'm not saying that it did, I'm just establishing that I sometimes like to believe in things that seem unlikely.

Anyway, now to my theory. So there are a couple of things I have to get straightened out before I begin:
Firstly, this is not based on scientific or historical facts. I think up things like this for fun.
Also, I'm assuming that Atlantis existed (remember, I like to believe things). This is necessary for the fun to commence.

Right, getting down to it-
Atlantis existed in the 10th Millennium BC, which was roughly when the inter-glacial period (which lasts today) began. Atlantis was this supremely advanced city, with agriculture and government and all the good stuff. They were way ahead of their time. When it got submerged, all this technology, and advancement, and knowledge died as well. Poof. It disappeared.
The Ancient Egyptian civilization came about 6,000 BC. They began agriculture and animal husbandry around 5,500 BC. And then the Greeks followed. Basically, the Egyptians had to start FROM SCRATCH. They had to figure these things out for themselves; they weren't handed this knowledge.

So here's an idea I love thinking about - what if time isn't linear? What if it's actually circular or something? What if we're heading towards the Big Bang? So we'd be getting back to the past - the future is the past. Think of a clock for better understanding.

So according to my theory, we're working towards Atlantis. This ideal city is our future.

Yes, that's it. It sounded way cooler in my head.

Anyway, I'm pretty fascinated by lost cities. And lost things in general. The Ancient Wonders, especially The Colossus at Rhodes.  El Dorado. The submerged city of Dwaraka.

This is some cool stuff.
Also, 'Imaginary Girls' by Nova Ren Suma is a really eerie book that I'd totally recommend if you're into creepy small towns with weird characters who are a bit off. The reason I mention  it is because it features a submerged city.
Since I'm anyway on a roll, 'The Ballad Of Semmerwater' is a poem I really love about ....
yes, a submerged city.

Why can't they hurry up and find the lost pieces of the Colossus and reconstruct it already?